Monday, May 30, 2011

Isn't Reality Violent Enough?

BLOGGERS NOTE:  I know, I know - I have not been writing at all lately. It's not because I'm not inspired, or because I have lost all of my opinion - it's because my laptop has died a horrific death.  Well, not really - my monitor just stopped working. Completely and utterly gone black.  So I've been sans computer for almost a month. This blogpost has been brought to you by Jared's laptop  - which by the way is in almost as bad of a condition as mine - we better both get ready to purchase new computers...

Summer blockbuster season is here at the movie theatres - which is something I've never really understood.  All winter the cinema's show snoozeworthy films (well maybe not snoozeworthy, but more intellectual films.  IE - the Oscar-nominated movies), which is great...but I don't think I'm the only one who waits for these slower, more dramatic bad boys to come out on dvd or Video on Demand, right?  Who wants to spend $20 to see a movie with no special effects, no crazy sound or soundtrack, on a giant screen; when you can get the same thing at home in comfort of your own living room?

Then the summer rolls around (and if you live in a city like Vancouver, we only really get 2-3 months of beautiful glorious weather, where we want to be outside and soak in the Vitamin D as much as humanly possible), and THEN the big films hit the theatre where it's dark, and sans-sun-exposure?  I don't get it. Regardless, this is the way it goes...

Jared is most interested in going to see the new Pirates of the Carribean movie - okay, fair - I said I'd go with him (mostly because he came to see Bridesmaids with me a few weeks ago - HILARIOUS, I might add). Although for some reason, I remember I didn't like the last Pirates movie, but I could not remember exactly why.

I remember...

Last night we watched the last film on DVD.  Within the first five minutes we saw multiple deaths - stabbing, shootings, poisonings,and of course there's the image of a female seductress getting shot between the eyes - blood and gore and all.  Is this not a Disney film?  I was truly disgusted and uncomfortable watching this film.

Open up a newspaper today.  Read what's going on in the world.

Yes, we are extremely lucky to live in North America, which compared to the rest of the world is an extremely peaceful and safe place.  But flip to the international pages of the Sun or Province and read what's happening - it's reality.  Violence, shootings, bombings, suicide, inhumane treatment of life... this is the reality of what our brothers and sisters live in everyday just one continent away.  Yet, our theatres glamorize this lifestyle and show it as a source of entertainment?

To me at least, Pirates of the Carribean is a family movie, I mean at Disneyland it is one of the most family friendly rides you can go on.  I remember being a little girl and it was the only ride at Disney my Mom would actually go on.  It was safe, it was fun - it was thrilling.  There were no images of humans being hung to their deaths and being shot through the forehead?

I will say, I told Jared he will have to find someone else to go to see this movie with.  While Bridesmaids was raunchy, there was no imagery of the glamourization of death.  So to Kristen Wiig (writer of the girl flick, I say "kudos") and to Disney I must admit my shame on you.

No comments:

Post a Comment