Tuesday, March 1, 2011

A Penny Spent

Ahhhh - it's that time of year...

RSP deadlines.  Or RRSP.  Isn't there also something called RPSP?

Oh who knows - all I know is that it's the time of year that ads pick up for the banks, radio dj's talk about it, it's all over the news hour with Tamara Taggart and that other dude - time to do some investments. 

What I don't know is why people aren't taking a lead on their own money the other 364 days a year???  I read recently that we (as the general human race) spend more time watching monkeys smell their own farts on YouTube than we spend reading our own financial statements.  I laughed.  And then I actually truly thought about that comment.  Sadly, I have watched a small cat wearing a top hat online this week (video was about 30 seconds, hilarious, might I add), but I have also spent much longer than that going over my financial statement through my online banking.

Am I the only one?

I have been very lucky with finances through my life.  As far back as I can remember, I not only had funds in a bank account, but a bright and intelligent financial advisor helping me along the way.  He's a special, funny man who's particularly good with his money - I like to call him "Dad".

Since I was a small little tot, running around in fancy dresses (not much changed), Dad has taught me the power of a dollar and the power of a small investment.  I remember going to the bank with him and not being able to see over the counter, with $20, which would eventually turn into $30 and so on.  He had me put my money away into bank accounts with high interest.  Now, as a kid I didn't know what that meant, but I certainly did when I went back and that $20 had somehow multiplied! 

When I bought my first car, he came with me to to the bank to show me how I could afford the car I wanted, but not give up on the life I dreamed for myself!  One thing this crazy financial advisor always taught me, is that I "need to live the life I was accustomed to".  I have never not gone for dinner or not purchased a pair of shoes I wanted, because all of my financial obligations.  It's about finding that balance between being smart with our money, but having fun with our money.

It hasn't always been easy - when I lost my job in 2007 it was hard to not 'enjoy' life as I always had.  While I had a good severance package, I knew that money WOULD end... I lived fnancially thin, but I still went out and occassionaly treated myself to new makeup, but I knew my obligations to myself through those investments I continued to make.  Heck, just because I got canned from my gig didn't mean I was willing to forsake my fantastic closet!

Yes, it's been a huge point in the right direction from a very smart individual, but it's also been the smarts to take some of my money and put it in a place where I know I can enjoy it in the future.  Do I spend all of my money wisely? Oh heck no, I have a wardrobe that is probably the financial equivalent to a year (or three) of shuffleboard and blue hair dye.

Sure, I could invest an additional few hundred a year away into my retirement, or I could be a 30-something with one of hell of a good life.  After all, what's the point in all that money, if you're not having fun being fabulous while you earn it?

No comments:

Post a Comment