Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Should We Hold it Against Britney?

Oh, how I love Britney.  yes, THE Britney.  Regardless of how crazy she may have gone in the past few years, I do still think there's something endearing about her.  Whether it's her look, her dancing, her stylists - who knows - but you gotta love her.

That being said, I just had the chance to check out her new video.  The video is very slick and there is quite a bit of product placement - which I have no problem with.  I hate it when people get up on their high-horses about too much product placement in the world.  Well, I'm in marketing, and you better believe if Britney called to ask if she could use our logo and site for a video, I'd be rolling out the pink carpet for her.  She's wearing all Make-Up Forever; you better believe I'm making a trip to my Beauty Boutique and playing with their colours the next chance I get - because Brit Brit looks hot-hot!

Anyway, I digress - while watching the video, I'm thinking "this is fun and all, but I really can't wait for the new Gaga video".  That's the thing - Britney Spears, who WAS the Madonna of our era, has been ousted from that position as if she never even owned it - Lady Gaga is the new phenomenon; with possibly even more staying power.  And Gaga can't go crazy like Britney did - because Gaga is already crazy, and she's embracing her strangeness and making it her best selling feature.

Yes, Britney's video was slick, but it wasn't anything 'new'.  I'd put money on it right now that Gaga's video will be something we have never seen before.  And while I'm interested to go and look at the MakeUp Forever Products that Britneys' flogging - over the weekend, without even trying it on - I bought the Gaga line at MAC.  Why?  Because if Gaga's designed it - I NEED it.  (who says marketing doesn't work?)

Lady Gaga has become a style-icon for me, and a billion other people all over the world.  Would I show up to an event in an egg?  no.  Would I wear a black mask during a tv interview?  no.  But will I take chances with hats and makeup?  yes.  Lady Gaga has shown us that beauty is NOT in the eye of the beholder - beauty is the confidence you find in yourself.  She's not classically beautiful - let's be honest, Britney is stunning, but I really just want to look at Gaga.

She once said "I'd rather be interesting than beatiful".  I love that.  It's given young women who aren't traditionally 'gorgeous' a chance to embrace themselves and feel worthy and attractive - to find their own look in which they enjoy. 

I also love that Gaga's sense of beauty actually causes you to think.  I wrote a few weeks ago about why we have to chose between being attractive, and being smart.  I think Gaga has made one impossible without the other in her look.  She's a brilliant marketer, she's putting revenue back in the music industry and most importantly, she's making us think.  So, I'm sorry Britney, but while you're video is great, the countdown for Gaga is on.

1 comment:

  1. What is with Plenty Of Fishes advertising in big music videos lately? to me it doesn't come across as clever because they don't integrate it well into the video, it just comes across as strangely timed. *shrugs* other than that the vid is good, really heavy dubstep beats too! I'm surprised at the brit brit!

    ReplyDelete