Thursday, February 17, 2011

Battle of the Sexes

What a week this has been - I truly don't think I've ever been so busy in my entire life.  Work could be a 24 hour job right now, however, as I grow up and start looking at the world through more mature eyes, I am starting to learn that my personal life should not be brushed aside for a professional one.

A happy balance between the two is what is necessary.

One of the major reasons I have started to grow and mature in the last year to six months, as been the love, friendship, and relationship of Jared.  I will admit, the past 3 years I have been somewhat of a party girl.  I loved it.  I have no regrets at all for having plans practically every day of the week and for just having one hell of a good time.  (no drugs or stupidity - just a lot of wine and a lot of flirting).  But when Jared came into my life, I started to really see the value in having a solid homelife. 

Don't get me wrong, Jared and I still go out and experience the world, but it's "different" now, and I like it.  Staying home 3 nights a week, making dinner and watching Jeopardy has a whole new feeling when I'm curled up on the couch beside him.  And the nights we do go out and hit the town, dayum I have the best looking date in the city!

Pre-Jared (now to be known as P.J.) I also found that I had a lot more male friends - A LOT more.  Many of these guys are still friends, but it's funny how they rarely call, and now seem almost non-existent.  As where over the past six months, my relationships with female friends have really blossomed.  I've never had girlfriends like I have now.

This week alone I had two lunches, one workout and at least five phone conversations - all with females.  This would never have happened P.J.  And I really don't know why?  And my relationship with these girls seems so much more "real" then any friendship I had with any boy.  I am learning and caring about these women at a way deeper level - learning about their goals, what makes them happy, their children, boyfriends (or hubby's or fiance's), and of course, all the fun stuff too...

And I love it - because they ask about all those things from my perspective as well.  No judging, no prejuidice, no preconceptions - just pure friendship.  I never had that with a boy (okay, maybe a few gay boys), but never any of the males I hung out with P.J. 

Which brings me back to the age-old question?  Can men and women JUST be friends?  From the market research I've recently conducted, the answer is a resounding "no".  However, as we grow up our relationships with other females become a necessary, do they in fact offer a certain element into our lives that a man can not provide?  Absolutely, and without a doubt. 

No comments:

Post a Comment