Saturday, February 5, 2011

Something in the Hair Tonight

One of my worst nightmares had been happening in my life - I had lost my swagger.  There's something I have learned about myself in the past 2 or 3 years - it's not about what you wear or where you're from:  it's about how you hold yourself up. 

I've always been a generally happy person - I like to smile at people on the street and chat with folks while I'm standing in line at the grocery store.  Even on a bad make-up day I would always hold myself up like I rocked it. 

Earlier in the week I blogged about how I had been feeling like crap lately - just ugly and dowdy and how I thought it could be my hair that was holding me back.  And how unbelievably ridiculous it was that I felt this way when there's real problems in the world.

Turns out, I was right.  On Thursday night, my fabulous new stylist Ramesh gave me a fringe, and we added fun blonde extensions to the mop I had been growing.  He took out the highlights and added a gorgeous solid blonde from roots to tips.  Immediately, no seriously immediately, I felt different - like the old me again.

I left the salon, head held high, and my skin actually seemed to be glowing.  People in stores said hello to me again, and I felt a new air of energy surrounding me.  Ramesh told me that physcologists who open up offices next to hair studios don't do as well of a business.  I absolutely can understand.  Why would I pay $500 to lay on a couch and tell some stranger my problems, when I could pay $175, have an awesome few hours with a great stylish trendy hairstylist and leave looking (and therefore feeling) like a million bucks?

And you should see Jared's reaction.  I haven't changed - my face is the same, my makeup is the same, my weight is the same:  but Jared has been paying more attention to me than you'd even believe.  He says I have my attitude back.  Sad, but true.

So with my bold new hair and my outlook on life back in check, I can focus on the issues of the world - take an interest in politics and current events, read and take interest - and you know, it will be all more valuable because kg got her swagger back.

1 comment: